Featured

# 1. The Interview

Hello again,

I will talk about my previous interview experiences – what I faced and how I learned.

I am a commerce graduate. I have appeared for many interviews and have faced many rejections.

I used to have very little confidence while going for an interview.

Talking about my first interview experience. In 2011, I received a call from HR working with an MNC company. The interview was scheduled after two days. As soon as that interview got confirmed I started getting millions of thoughts about an upcoming interview.


  • How will the interview go?
  • Will I be able to answer all the questions?
  • What if I blackout?
  • What if I fumble?
  • And many more…..!!!!



The intensity of anxiety was at its peak.

In two days’ time, I spent 20% time in interview preparation and rest 80% in worrying unnecessarily.

On the final interview day, apart from introduction part, I fumbled in all the technical questions. And you can figure out the result.

This is how my first few interviews went. I slowly started questioning myself, why is this happening, my weak points, that’s where I started reading about the importance positive thinking and concentration on productive activities. 

Basically this is how I began to think positively.

I changed my approach, made up my mind. I decided to concentrate on making a list of all required tasks to appear for an interview in a best possible way as mentioned below:
  •        List of topics required to read for interview.
  •        Plan topics according to the time available.
  •        Clothing and accessories for interview.
  •        Planning diet till the interview – too much food makes you sleepy.
  •        If necessary, go to library for better concentration.
  •        Take short breaks to relax.
  •        If I get negative thoughts –I’ll do self-talk - No point in worrying and wasting time  focus on preparation. Even made posters in my room about positive thinking.
  •        Not to think about results during preparation time – that can be done after the interview.
  •        After following above mentioned tasks diligently, even if I don’t clear the interview, I will at least feel somewhat satisfied – I made efforts which will help me in next interview preparation. I will not regret.

Before entering interview room:
  •        I make up my mind –> I am confident, I will try to answer all the questions in the best   possible manner.
  •        In case I don’t know –> I will apologies, request for next question.
  •        In case I am feeling the interview is not going well, I’ll think –> this is not the only opportunity – there are many more. This interview is a part of learning experience. There are many legends in the world who have faced failures but they never gave up. 

Image courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aryaziai/8595314457

After the interview:
  • If the interview went well – Don’t expect I’ll get the job. Focus on searching for more jobs and on interview preparation. (Because in case I get the offer letter, I have won but if I don’t, then I don’t want to get into depression mode and waste time and energy)
  • If the interview didn’t go well – As mentioned earlier this is not the only opportunity – there are many more. This interview is a part of learning experience. There are many legends in the world who have faced failures but they never gave up.      
  • But in both the scenarios, I will make a note of all the questions and what the correct answer should be for that. This will help in my next interview.


This is what I have learned about the interview process for self and it really helps.

I hope you liked my post, I am planning to share many more experiences in upcoming posts depending on readership, your likes and comments.

I sincerely request you to comment and share if you like this article. 

Thanks again for reading my post. Cheers...!!!

Comments

  1. Awesome article Abhilasha. I can relate to the situations mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts